Great information on link building from an effective service and reference, links management. Use their service for top quality links, but at the same time, diversify in your link building strategy and build your own natural links and add yourself to directories and relevant websites as well. Note: this is not a paid/sponsored article and is actually useful and effective!
1. Find the cost of your business’ Top 10 keywords
Do competition research to find and focus on effective and affordable keywords for your business. Since Google removed their keyword tool, try Links Management’s Free SEO Cost Calculator Tool and find out how many links you need and how much it will cost you to outrank your competition.
Gather the following information in helping you plan out your keywords and campaign:
- Who is your target audience?
- What traffic is high volume and are your keywords profitable? ? Insert your keyword list into the Google AdWords Keyword Selector Tool to find the most searched keywords.
- Where do you have a chance? What Keywords Are The Least Competitive?
- Test Your Keywords with Google AdWords before You Invest in Them
- Focus & Diversify on your keywords
To put it simple, in choosing keywords, you have 3 options:
- You can target some very competitive short keyword that requires, for example, 1000 backlinks to outrank your competition.
- Or you can target some low competitive long tail keywords. For example, you’ll target keywords that require 5 backlinks each for you to be #1 on Google for each of them. By acquiring the same 1,000 of backlinks for these keywords, you’ll be #1 on Google for 200 keywords (1000 / 5 = 200). Usually these 200 keywords will bring you even bigger number of visitors from Google than that 1 short keyword.
- In selecting keywords, select those which you already have some ranking and build more links on those.
2. Prepare a detailed link building plan
A good plan is to be successful 50% of the time. Doing too much unplanned activity may harm your website rankings.
3. Build links slowly, gradually and steadily
Once you have a detailed link building plan, you can start link building and getting backlinks. Don’t be in a rush however, as to look natural to Google, link building must be performed slowly and steadily. As a general recommendation, do not build more than 5 links per day. Start your campaign with low PR backlinks (PR1-PR4). In 1-2 months, start acquiring backlinks with higher PageRanks (PR5-PR7).
4. Create backlinks with unique anchor texts & keywords
People who follow the anchor text distribution formula have successfully got in the Top 10 on Google and were progressing in the SERPs even after the Penguin update. Others who ignored this rule failed to get high rankings. Google is constantly working on improving its algorithms and, at the end of March 2012, Google launched the critical Penguin update. After this update, a great number of websites throughout the entire Internet lost their rankings. The most important reason why rankings dropped after this update was unnatural keyword (anchor text) distribution in the backlinks.
In summary, 4 important rules:
- Always acquire links with unique anchor texts. For example, if your keyword is ‘IT Consulting’ and you provide it mostly for Orange County and Los Angeles business owners, then your anchor texts may look like this:
IT Consulting service for Orange County and Los Angeles
Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting
IT Consulting in Orange County and Los Angeles
IT Consulting in Orange County and Los Angeles
Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting
service of IT Consulting in Orange County and Los Angeles
Orange County and Los Angeles service of IT Consulting
IT Consulting for Orange County and Los Angeles customers
Consulting with this Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting Service
great IT Consulting service
affordable IT Consulting service
high quality IT Consulting service, etc.
- 25% of your anchors should include the URL of your website or even just consist from your URL only.
- 25% of your anchors should include your brand name or domain name of your website.
- And for your promotion to look natural, you should also always use multiple different keywords in each link building campaign. You can use synomys or close terms. Examples:
Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting service
Need Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting help
IT Consulting for Orange County and Los Angeles business
IT Consulting for Orange County and Los Angeles schools
SEO IT Consulting in Orange County and Los Angeles
Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting for servers
IT Consulting for Orange County and Los Angeles homes
best Orange County and Los Angeles IT Consulting, etc.
5. Use synergic effect of Google Penguin 2.0 when 1800 links can make you rank #1 for 25000 of keywords
Explanation of sinergic effect of Google Penguin 2.0: according to Natural Anchor Text Distribution Formula, for your backlink profile to look natural to Google, the anchor texts of most backlinks should include your website URL, brand name, domain name and many other keywords, not connected with your main targeted keyword. It means that if your website already has many such backlinks with URL, brand name and other keywords, then any new links that you build with your targeted keywords used in the anchor texts, will significantly improve your website positions on Google for MANY keywords at once:
- for ALL of your existing keywords used in old backlinks
- plus for ALL keywords, used on your website in your content
- plus for ALL long tail keywords.
6. Surround your links with content
If possible, surround your links with keyword-rich content. Links surrounded with content look more natural to Google. If this content includes your targeted keywords, then it will add additional link juice to your backlinks.
7. Get backlinks from pages with various Google PageRank
Only high PR or low PR links in your backlink profile may seem suspicious to Google. Your backlinks should come from web pages with different Google PR. Moreover, most of your links should come from PR0 and PR1 pages to look natural for Google. Only around 10% of your links should come from high PR pages with PR4 and higher. If your current backlink profile doesn’t correspond to this recommendation, don’t remove existing links – it’s better to just build new ones with those PageRanks you don’t have enough of for your link profile to start looking natural to Google.
Natural PageRank Distribution Formula
Google PR of the
Backlink Page and Quantity of Backlinks
8. 20% of links should point to the inner pages of your website
80% of links should point to the homepage, and 20% – to inner pages of your website. This rule is especially important for large sites with many webpages. From our research we see that sites that have backlinks pointing to all pages of their website, including inner pages, have much better rankings on Google than those that have all backlinks pointing only to their homepages.
9. You won’t rank high without on-page optimization
Google today is not like it was before. In 2014, off-page optimization alone (ex. backlinks) is NOT enough to rank high on Google. Whatever number of links you get, you won’t get in the Top 10 without implementing a proper on-page SEO. So make sure to:
- Create at least 50 pages with unique content (each page should include at least 500 words). The more content, the better.
- Always fill your website with only unique content and update it as often as possible.
- Get rid of all the duplicated content or close it from indexing, using a robots.txt file. It is not just advice. It’s a sharp necessity! After the Panda 3.6 update having been launched by Google there is no way for the sites with duplicated content to be in Google Top 10. So, pay attention to the quality of your site content because the importance of this factor grows up from day to day. Use either this free content duplicate checker tool or copyscape to find and get rid of all the duplicate content.
- Create a sitemap (using sitemap generators) and upload it to Google.
- Optimize your website for your targeted keywords.
- Learn more about how to perfectly optimize your site content.
10. Avoid these mistakes
Most people stop link building campaigns because they think it doesn’t work, but in fact in most cases it doesn’t work because of one of the following reasons:
- The number of purchased links is not enough to get the Top 10 rankings on Google. Without building the amount of backlinks, necessary to outrank your competition, your investments are just useless and pointless.
- Your newly purchased links stayed alive for less than 3 months. In this case you won’t see any results because Google ignores links, which are younger than 3 months old.
- Your backlink profile may be over-optimized with exact anchor text match.
- If new links were built, but your website has very low or no traffic at all, you won’t see any positive improvement on Google either. The links cannot appear from nowhere, so when Google sees no or too low traffic on your site, but many new backlinks appearing, it will consider them as unnatural. Make sure to increase your traffic along with the number of backlinks.
- Google has developed its algorithms so that it is now using psychological pressure – when you get new backlinks, at first your rankings drop down, and only with some time they come back and get higher than they were before. Google actually says about this in their own patent 8,244,722. So when your rankings start to dance (drop down, improve, again drop down and again improve, etc.), it means that everything is going fine. Just stick to your planned link building plan and, with some time, your situation will become more and more stable.
11. Never give up before you complete your link building plan
One of the most popular and harmful SEO mistakes that people ever make, is that they STOP their link building campaign BEFORE it can actually yield any significant results. SEO is a long-term investment, not a short-term. You cannot buy or build 10 links today and see the results tomorrow. In general SEO is activity that should be planned for a long-term and should be performed during quite a long period of time (at least 3-6 months, better – 12 months) for you to see significant results and start getting your investment back.
You should keep your link building plan until it’s fully completed before you decide how well it works. In SEO you will always see the real results of your activities with several months of delay. If you do something right now, you’ll see the results from this only in a couple of months, but not tomorrow or even in a week.
Keep in mind that sometimes your website rankings are going to drop down because this is how Google works nowadays; some call this the “Google Dance” — your rankings will regularly jump up and down (sometimes quite significantly) during your way to the Top until you gain high enough Google Trust Rank (which can only be achieved with time, significant amount of backlinks and natural anchor text distribution).
Track the results and remember:
- You should expect to see rankings improvement from your link building campaign and no traffic increase even if you get from position #984 to #9 on Google since only the first 3 spots get significant traffic.
- You should automatically track your site ranking changes throughout the first 100-200 search results using some tool, but not manually throughout the first 10-50 search results.
- You should keep your link building plan until it’s fully completed before you decide how well it works. You should NOT expect to see the results quickly because it just doesn’t work with Google like that. Making a decision too quickly is one of the most popular SEO mistakes that people ever make.
Source: Links Management
Originally posted 2014-05-29 22:45:31. Republished by Blog Post Promoter