With all the cloud storage services available to us, Google Drive is undoubtedly one of the most popular cloud storage services along with the oldest one. For the past many years we all have been using Google Drive to save our important documents, favorite images, videos, and other files.
However, similar to other cloud storage providers Google Drive has a storage space limit which is 15 GB of free storage for each user registered on Google. Yes you can upgrade the storage space but that will not come for free and you have to pay for it.
So, if you are the one who is running out of space on Google Drive but does not want to pay more to get additional storage space, then you need to free up some space on your Google Drive.
And what could be a better way than to find and delete duplicate files from your Google Drive? How? Just go through this complete article to learn how to remove duplicate files from Google Drive.
How to Delete Duplicate Files from Google Drive
You have two ways to remove duplicate files from your Google Drive. One is the manual method in which you need to go through each file individually, check for the duplicates and delete them once located. Another way is to delete duplicate files automatically using a duplicate file finder tool.
Manually Remove Duplicate Files from Google Drive
Unfortunately, Google Drive doesn’t offer any automatic way to search for duplicate files. This means you need to find the duplicates manually and once located delete them. To do so follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Google Drive account.
- Now once you are in your Google Drive account, click on the List View located at the upper right corner of your Google Drive.
- This will list all your files saved in Google Drive.
- Next look out for the files with “Copy of” written in front of their name or a number like 1, 2, following their name. You can use Ctrl + F on your keyboard as a shortcut to search all such with a text appended as “Copy of”.
- Now to be more sure that you are deleting a duplicate file and not the original one, we suggest you to open it.
- Once you are sure, select the file > right click on it > and click on Remove to delete it.
- You need to repeat this process to delete all duplicate files.
How to Remove Duplicate Files from Google Drive using Duplicate Files Finder Tool.
After going through the manual way to remove duplicate files from your Google Drive, you have certainly realized how cumbersome and time-consuming it is. Also, manual way to delete duplicate files is also not a reliable method and you will not get accurate results as well. Therefore, we are now going to discuss how to remove duplicate files from Google Drive automatically using a duplicate files finder tool.
After trying various duplicate file cleaner tools we found Duplicate Files Fixer as one of the best duplicate files finder and remover software to efficiently delete duplicate files from your Google Drive.
So, let’s check out how to use this amazing duplicate files finder tool.
- To get started you have to first download the latest version of Duplicate Files Fixer from its official website.
- Once you have downloaded the product, follow the onscreen instructions to install the product on your computer.
- Once you have installed the program click on its icon to launch the product. Please note that by default Duplicate Files Fixer scans your computer for duplicate files, therefore you have to first change the scan mode from Scan Computer to Scan Google Drive.
- To do so click on the downward arrow in front of the Scan Mode and select Scan Google Drive from the drop-down list.
- Next, a new browser tab will open and you need to select the Google account from which you wish to scan and remove duplicate files and sign into the account by providing the password.
- Now, grant the requested permission when asked, and click on the Continue button.
- A new browser tab will open with the message “Received verification code. You may close this window.” After receiving the message you can close the browser tab.
- Since you have now been granted permission to Duplicate Files Fixer, you are now ready to scan and remove duplicate files from your Google Drive.
- Now on the Duplicate Files Fixer program click on the Add Folder button.
- A popup window will open, from where you have to select the folder and click on the OK button.
- The drive or the folder will now appear in the Duplicate Files Fixer window.
- Now once you find your Drive added to the scan list of Duplicate Files Fixer, click on the Scan for Duplicates button. You have to now wait before the duplicate file finder scans for duplicates in Google Drive.
- Once the scan completes, you will see the complete scan results. You can also preview the detected duplicates by double-clicking on them.
- Next use the Automark feature of the duplicate file cleaner program to automatically mark the duplicates in each group, while marking individual files manually, leaving one copy unmarked.
- Once all the duplicates have been selected, click on the click Delete Marked button followed by Yes to confirm.
- Now you have to just wait before Duplicate Files Fixer delete duplicate files.
Note: By default, the detected duplicates are moved to the Recycle Bin, so that you can restore if you need any file later.
The product will show you a complete summary of all the deleted duplicate files.
If you have more than one Google Account, and you have to use their Drive as well for duplicate files, then you can repeat the same process for other Google accounts as well.
So folks this is all from our side. We hope that now you can regain the space in your Google Drive by removing the duplicate files from it.
Originally posted 2021-10-18 20:03:28. Republished by Blog Post Promoter