Ever want to know why your check engine light came on and don’t have time to go to the mechanic? Now you can do it wirelessly and relatively inexpensive with your Android or iPhone!
The ELM 327
ELM 327: Low Cost Solution with various apps available for Android and iOS!
The ELM327 is a multi-function OBDII Interpreter IC. It provides an RS232 to OBDII data bridge for systems that use the ISO 15765-4 CAN, SAE J1850 PWM, SAE J1850 VPW, ISO 9141-2, ISO 14230-4 and SAE J1939 protocols. In addition, two generic CAN protocols are provided which can be customized by the user for use with audio data busses, special OBD implementations, etc.
It would seem that the previous version (1.3a) offered all that anyone could need in an OBD interpreter, several new features are still included in the new ELM327 v1.4b chip. The data sheet explains all of these features in detail, but here’s a quick listing of some of the changes:
- Power Control provides a very low power standby mode
- More J1939 support
- A non-volatile memory location for storing user data
- An option to turn off the CAN silent monitoring for bench testing, or when connecting to a dedicated CAN port
- CAN extended addressing support for experimenting with special data formats
- The ISO/KWP bus initializations may now be performed without having to send a request
- A 4800 baud ISO option, to compliment the 10400 and 9600 rates
- An SS command for searching sequentially through the protocols
- A TA command to change the Tester Address without using a PP
- The ability to quickly restore the factory calibration for the voltage reading circuit
In addition, there have been several improvements made ‘under the hood’, which will help with the overall reliabilty. Download either the ‘QuickSheet’ (a 7 page summary), or the full (76 page) Data Sheet for a more complete description of what it is now capable of. We are often asked about the differences between versions of the ELM327, as it has been updated several times. The AT Commands file provides a summary of these.
Get ELM 327 Here
This lists all iOS/Android car OBD apps that are compatible with the ELM327 WIFI scanner.
Note: This list is updated often due to the nature of apps in the Google Play store and Apple Store.
|Free Android Apps
||Paid Android Apps
|Free iOs Apps
||Paid iOs Apps
Alternate Solutions for Android and iOS
OBDLink Bluetooth Scan Tool
A higher cost solution, however is advanced and offers a nice graphical interface. OBDLink Bluetooth features a Class 1 Bluetooth transmitter for maximum range, and Plug and Play connectivity with any Android, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Symbian, Blackberry, or laptop. OBDLink to be compatible with more vehicles and dependably communicate faster! Highly recommend!
Get Scantool Here
Alternate Solutions for Android and iOS:
Kiwi 2 Bluetooth
Android, Symbian, Linux, N9, PC OBDII to smartphone interface. Check Engine Diagnostics, Real-time Gauges, Fuel Efficiency and MPG, Engine Sensors, Customizable Dashboard, Real-time Dyno, Data Logging, GPS Track Mapping, Skid Pad, Video Recording, Data Overlay and more. Works with 1996 and later vehicles. Compatible with many apps. Plug and play and installs in seconds.
Kiwi 2 Wifi
iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch OBDII to smartphone interface. Check Engine Diagnostics, Real-time Gauges, Fuel Efficiency and MPG, Engine Sensors, Customizable Dashboard, Real-time Dyno, Data Logging, GPS Track Mapping, Skid Pad, Video Recording, Data Overlay and more. Works with 1996 and later vehicles. Compatible with many apps. Plug and play and installs in seconds.
- Read / reset engine codes, Real-time Gauges, Data logging
- Display real-time horsepower and torque
- GPS track mapping and telemetry, visually analyze acceleration and braking on different race tracks, and improve your lap time.
- Professional skidpad and inclinometer showing lateral and acceleration/braking Gs with min/max indicators.
- Smog check ready your vehicle
- Connect high performance aftermarket sensors including wideband air/fuel ratio, exhaust gas temperature, vacuum/boost, air intake temperature, fluid pressure and fluid temperature with the iMFD adapter