Download and install the Compatibility Pack
To open 2013, 2010 or 2007 Office System documents in Office 2003, Office XP, or Office 2000, you must install the Office Compatibility Pack. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the Microsoft Download Center to download the Office Compatibility Pack.
- To download the Compatibility Pack (FileFormatConverters.exe), click Download.
- When you are prompted, click Run to install the Compatibility Pack.
- After the Compatibility Pack is installed, close any Office programs that are open.
- Restart Office programs to open documents in the newer format.
Note You must manually close and restart any Office programs that were open when you installed the Compatibility Pack. After those programs are restarted, the Office programs can open files that use the Open XML Format.Download Office Compatibility Pack