According to recent studies, an average US citizen looks at his smartphone 262 times every day, nearly once every 5 minutes. So, no wonder many of us want to share these overwhelming success stories on handheld screens. But building a successful super mobile app is a challenging endeavor.
Mainly if your business is new to app development and needs to be more knowledgeable about how much your app development cost, you can only find someone who can give you a precise estimate if you know the details of your business and app project.
This is why we are here to explain the various factors determining the cost of building an app. We will begin by explaining the key determinant factors, followed by tips to keep the development cost within your prefigured app budget. Here we start.
Factors That Affect App Development Cost
App Niche and Type
There are several app niches dealing with different features and audience requirements. The cost of building a calculator or weather app will differ from the cost of developing a fintech or ride-booking app. Hence, we need to explain some niches.
- Basic Functional Apps: Basic functional apps such as clocks, calculators, weather apps, compass apps, calendars, basic notebook apps, etc., take a lower development time, and the cost is also the lowest compared to other niches.
- eCommerce Apps: eCommerce apps that include names like Amazon, eBay, Alibaba, and many others are feature-rich, full of interactive elements, and loads of dynamic content. Naturally, they are one of the most cost-intensive app niches.
- On-demand Apps: On-demand services that bring app interfaces for generating customer requests for their services are popular. From expense tracking apps to food and grocery delivery apps like Zomato or Grubhub, all belong to this category. Based upon the number of sophisticated features and regional coverage, they can be pretty time and cos-intensive.
- Video Streaming Apps: Video streaming apps offering streaming movies or television series, or other types of video content are also feature-rich and performance-demanding ones, and hence they stand high up in terms of development time and cost
- Social Network and Chat Apps: These apps that cover big names such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, LinkedIn, and many others are heavier in features, interactivity, and content and consequently take longer development time and higher cost.
- Mobile Gaming Apps: Mobile gaming apps can be simple and low-budget if you bring something unique. But generally, game apps with high-end graphics and immersive gaming experiences take a lot of time and development costs.
Platform and Types of Apps
The target platform, operating system, and corresponding technologies play a critical role in the cost of super app development. Here we discuss four different options along with their cost impact.
- Web App: A mobile-optimized website or a Progressive Web App (PWA) can look and feel like a mobile app and help you bring down the development cost to a great extent.
- Native App: When you build particularly for iOS or Android at a given time, the development cost can go up, but it can deliver a better user experience and app performance.
- Hybrid App: This is about the “develop once and run everywhere” approach, so you don’t need to build for different OS platforms. It can be time and cost-saving while making you compromise on app user experience and performance.
- Cross-platform App: Cross-platform development approach brings a balance between native and hybrid development and allows reusing maximum code across platforms while ensuring native UI development for a superior user experience. This approach offers the most balanced approach between cost and quality.
Choosing the App Development Features That Affect Cost
Finally, the app features you choose will impact the overall development time and cost for an app project. It is always advisable to continue with the basic features first and plan for further value additions through subsequent updates based on user feedback.
Among the basic features, you must include in any app project are user login and registration, push notifications, a search function with filters, in-app messaging, social media integration, etc. Among the advanced features are chatbot support, GPS location map, offline access, etc.
Developer Location and Experience Level
The app development cost also depends on the developer’s location and experience level of the developers. Small development firms with less experienced developers can quote a competitive cost with the risks of compromised quality. On the other hand, top development companies can guarantee top-notch quality at a high price. It will help if you balance these two opposites when hiring development teams.
Now the location of the developers or the development company also plays a key role in determining the cost of mobile app development. The average hourly rate for app development in the US is pretty high and ranges from $80 – $200 per hour, and the same goes down to $30 – $60 per hour in India and many East European countries.
How to Develop the App at a Low Cost?
Now let us provide some quick and effective tips to keep the app development cost within your budget. Here are the most effective tips for building your app within a budget.
- First, do elaborate homework based on the specific project requirements such as platforms, technologies, tools, target audience, monetization, etc.
- Select the app project’s experience level, skills, developer locations, hiring, and engagement models. Choose the tech stack wisely by involving open-source tools and libraries as much as possible.
- Embrace development practices and principles that prevent course corrections so that you do not need to deal with sudden cost spikes.
- Use the best project management tools and protocols to keep productivity high and complete the project well within time.
- Always start from the elementary features and insist on an incremental development approach such as MVP to reduce initial development costs.
Summing It Up
Bringing the development cost down without compromising on quality can be challenging but not impossible when you follow the practices mentioned above and become meticulous in your approach concerning all of these aspects. Start small with a focus on key value propositions and gradually add more as your app grows traction. That’s the way to do it.
Originally posted 2022-12-12 17:07:27. Republished by Blog Post Promoter