Listen to Audio
According to the law, most of the mattresses manufactured today are made flame resistant but the way it is made so can be dangerous to your health.
This law is passed to provide the users with an added layer of safety and security while using the mattresses.
The primary reason behind this is as follows:
- It is the primary filling material of the mattress used that asks for such a requirement.
- In most of the traditional mattresses and especially in the memory foam variants, polyurethane foam is used as the main filling ingredient.
- This by itself is a highly flammable material derived from petroleum. It is for this reason the polyurethane foam is to be wrapped or treated with fire retardant chemicals.
However, several studies have found that this flame retardant chemical used to treat the polyurethane is known to cause several serious health issues such as:
- Neurodevelopmental delays
- Behavioral issues in children
- Reduced IQ scores in children
- Birth defects
- Hormone disruptions and
- Even various forms of cancer.
Though the risks are more for the children, the adults too are substantially at risk of using these flame resistant mattresses.
According to research it is found that children who are born to mothers who were exposed during pregnancy to such types of mattresses that contains high levels of PBDEs gave birth to children who on an average had a decrease in IQ by 4.5 point. It was also found that these children were also more vulnerable and prone to several hyperactivity disorders.
Concerns for Safety
You must know that concerns regarding these flame retardant are much more because the effects of these substances are not restricted within the mattress itself.
- They will be emitted by the substances in the mattresses and will migrate out. It will mix with the house dust and linger in the air. When you or your kids breathe it will enter your body through your respiratory systems thereby affecting it as well as the body on the whole.
- It is for these reasons several studies have found that more than 90% of Americans contain some amount of flame retardant chemicals inside their bodies.
- This is not a thing to ignore because these flame retardant chemicals are considered to be one of the 17 chemical groups that are “high priority” and should be avoided strictly as it can enhance the chances of breast cancer.
Adding fuel to the conundrum, these flame retardant chemicals when catches fire, will emit higher levels of dangerous carbon monoxide gas, smoke and soot in comparison to any other untreated materials. Since it is known and proved that these three things can kill a person more than a fire burn, these flame retardant chemicals actually make the fires more deadly.
Finding a Safe Mattress
To make sure that you buy a safe mattress there are a few things you can do:
- Start with reading reviews at com
- Buy from reputed vendors only
- Compare it with a prescription for a chemical-free mattress of a health care provider and then order it.
It might take some effort but will ensure safety and better health.