Below is a useful list of 50 free Web apps for engineers consisting of tools for CAD, calculators and converters, productivity tools and online toolboxes.
- AutoCAD WS: Create an account to draw, edit and store your CAD drawings online. Share and collaborate and use the mobile app, too.
- CadStd: This is a well-known completely free 2D drafting package.
- CloudSCAD: This online tool became so popular that it currently is restricted to registered users. However, you can play with their STL Viewer.
- FreeCAD: A free open source 2D/3D CAD program that is a work in progress.
- Google SketchUp: Picture anything in 3D and online.
- PCB Elegance: Schematics and PCB layout. Free version restricts the number of pins to 200.
- PowerSHAPE-e: This tool brings together a fully integrated combination of surface modeling, solid modeling, triangle modeling, reverse engineering and decoration techniques.
- T-FLEX CAD Student Edition: A 2D & 3D parametric CAD version of their commercial product, includes an FE solver and dynamics simulator.
- TinkerCAD: Tinkercad is a new and faster way of creating designs for your 3D printer.
- Block Wall Calculator: Block Wall Calculator is used to estimate the number of cubic yards required to be filled in a concrete for the given length, width and size.
- Calculator Edge: This site has about every calculator imaginable, all free to use.
- Concrete Volume Calculator: Figure the volume for a number of different designs in the drop down menu.
- Energy Conversion Calculator: No matter which energy you’re using, this tool can convert the measurements for you.
- Free Mechanical Engineering Online Calculators: This site carries a list of numerous calculators. Scroll down to find CAD listings, too.
- Oblique Flow Relations Calculator: This calculator computes ratios to free stream values across an oblique shock wave, turn angle, wave angle and associated Mach numbers.
- Engineering Plastics Online Tools: Three calculators, including a snap-fit design calc, a cost calculator and a cycle time calculator.
- Open Channel Flow Calculator: Gain access to results for flow depth, Manning’s N, slope, side slope and diameter problems.
- Shaft Speed Calculator: A three-in-one tool. See how fast end easy you can calculate speed having distance and time, how to find distance having time and speed and how to find time having speed and distance.
- Torque Transmitted by Clutch Calculator: This online tool calculates the maximum torque that can be transmitted by a clutch that is undergoing uniform wear.
Odds and Ends
- Celestia: This is a free space simulation that allows users to explore the universe in three dimensions.
- Determine Wire Size: Whether you are doing home electrical repair or on a electrical design job, simply calculate amperage (current) flow through the circuit and then apply the table.
- Electronic Circuit Simulator: When the applet starts up you will see an animated schematic of a simple LRC circuit.
- Open Rocket: OpenRocket is an free, fully featured model rocket simulator that allows you to design and simulate your rockets before actually building and flying them.
- Trac Open Source Project: Trac is an enhanced wiki and issue tracking system for software development projects.
NOTE: Some of these products have a free trial period if they aren’t entirely free. Otherwise, check out their payment plans.
- 14Dayz: A simple web based time tracking tool for groups of loosely connected individuals that collaborate on a professional basis.
- Basecamp: If you’re organized enough to want a project management tool, Basecamp can serve the purpose.
- Campfire: Just like instant messaging, but designed exclusively for groups. Share text, code and files in real time.
- Clocking IT: Plan projects, see schedules, track time and produce extensive reports for your clients.
- ConceptShare: For engineers, this solution might seem ideal. It’s a more visual way to collaborate, review and markup images, documents and video.
- Dabbleboard: This free online mind mapping tool allows users to draw different graphs manually. Download files in .PNG format.
- dotProject: dotProject is a web-based project management application, designed to provide project layout and control functions.
- Edistorm: This is a different mind mapping tool that works like a workboard with sticky notes. Download results in .xml or PDF formats.
- FreshBooks: Financial record keeping that is detailed enough to satisfy your accountant. Send invoices a few second after creating your account.
- JIRA-Greenhopper: GreenHopper adds agile project management to JIRA to easily manage user stories, requirements and development tasks in the same place you track bugs.
- Joe’s Goals: This simple tool makes tracking goals easy and fun — you can watch your daily score to track your successes.
- Jumpstart: If you want to plan a Web site for your work, use this free tool to get a jump on your Web project.
- LessAccounting: An easy-to-use accounting software for small businesses.
Engineering Tools Overload
- Berg Engineering Tools: Save time in performing routine and repetitive calculations or determining technical dimensions and specifications when designing your products with these online apps.
- efunda: eFunda stands for engineering Fundamentals. Its mission is to create an online destination for the engineering community, where working professionals can quickly find concise and reliable information to meet the majority of their daily reference needs.
- Engineering.com: This site contains tools, jobs and articles for engineers of every ilk.
- Environmental Health Safety Freeware: This is a list of freeware that provides tools for unit conversion and engineering calculations.
- ESA Earthnet Online: This site carries a list of European Space Agency (ESA) software and toolboxes, some open source.
- Free Satellite Engineering Tools & Software: You need to scroll down the page to find links, which often lead to other links. But, the links work!
- The Engineering ToolBox: You can find resources, tools and basic information for engineering and for the design of any technical application at this site.
- UNISIG Tech Engineering Tools: Get your tools for deep-hole drilling.
- WolframAlpha: Get free online access to the Wolfram|Alpha computational knowledge engine.