An App or Application, within the world of information technology, is the application of a system, a type of technology or product. Using the expression application or app is a short version of saying “application program”.
An application program performs a specific function for a user or other application. Web browsers, communication programs, word processors, development tools, database programs and the such are all examples of applications or apps. Your computer operating system uses apps for its services.
What is App Testing?
App testing is an old method and technique in which software testing takes place. The application interfaces and functions that are being hosted on the web also get tested at various software platforms.
Application developers ensure that the app they create works; that the issues are as little as possible during the release stage. Many testing tools exist and are available that can distribute a beta version. You can invite users to indicate problems that may exist with the app and also report with their feedback.
An investigation or research is conducted to highlight the software quality of a product that is being tested. It could be a service or software that is being looked at in order to bring to light the objective and type of software that is being tested.
There may be risks in the implementation of the software that need to be taken into consideration. These can be understood through test techniques which need the execution of the program or application. Testing the applications for software bugs and making sure the software is going to be useful for the users is huge. With app testing tools it’s also easy to collect crash reports and data analytics.
Tips for App Testing
Here are a few useful app testing techniques and procedures:
Testing for Functions
There are several ways that testing can be done.
- Determine the various field validations
- Negative testing performance and input error
- Look for redirects that are incapacitated
- Check for dead pages
- How is the system workflow
- Verify the integrity of the data
Testing for Usability
How easy is the use of the application.
- Is the user intuitive
- Check the content
- Test the controls
- How is the navigation
Testing the Interface
Data flow and interface performance
Testing the Compatibility
The test is based on the application context
- Consistency with other mobile devices
- How compatible is the browser
- Is the operating system compatible
Testing the Performance
Verification of response time and performance in relation to load to understand the system’s behavior
- Stress Test to figure out the system’s capacity when there is overload
- Soak Test for endurance purposes and sustained use to determine load parameters such as memory leaks
- Spike Test is done when you add users to measure the system’s performance
- Load Test to understand the measurement and behavior of the load under critical times towards application servers and databases
Testing the Security
For web-based theft and data that is accessed without authorization
- By means of cross-site scripting (XSS) security vulnerability where web pages are viewed by attackers who want to bypass access systems
- Using injection methods
- Breaking of authentication
- Misconfiguration of security
- Exposure to sensitive data
- Forward and redirects that are invalid
- Cross-site forgery request
- Vulnerable component usage
So what is the true significance of Mobile App Testing?
Web apps are easier to test than mobile device apps because:
a) There are many different mobile device types who have different screen sizes
b) The hardware and keypad and trackball system is very different
c) Perhaps the mobile device is different such as a Nokia, Apple, HTC or Samsung
d) They may be operating with systems such as Android, IOS, Windows, Blackberry or Symbian
e) Look out for different operating system versions such as 5.x, 6.x, and so on.
f) There is a need for frequent updates with each new testing cycle.
Regarding mobile application testing; the client database is huge and in the millions. In this case it’s important to make sure all the bugs are fixed before that application is introduced to the masses; consumers are very demanding, they want an excellent product under their fingertips. Be careful: Legal issues and monetary losses, and even sometimes an irreparable brand image may be the result of an app that is not up to par.
Here are some thoughts on application testing and its future in short:
- Real device and network analysis will become easier
- Simple techniques for target demographic selection will be developed
- The cost for testing will be reduced greatly
- The quality of the application will be markedly improved
- Enhanced client and stakeholder experience will be achieved
- Use of large memory desktops for rigorous app testing
- Broadband or dial-up app evaluation will mostly be employed
- You will be able to test apps on demand around the clock
Applications are tested on central processing units with screen sizes that are large and easy to view. It’s important to realize that notification alerts for emails and optimization tips will help enhance revenue and income statistics.
The best apps are those that undergo testing and the future of this industry is very bright. There are already companies who test apps in the market by means of statistics and user survey that is friendly and easy to understand.
Assigning an experienced test manager to define the requirements and coordinating the testing domain is crucial in the performance of an app which goes on to become a success. It’s also very important the type of knowledge, experience and background the app testing team possess, including their testing skill level. This will be a determining factor if the future of the app will be extended or not.
In conclusion, monitoring the test team performance for defects and removing the glitches is imperative in the long-term success of an app. Testing must cover all required devices, platforms and electronic equipment which will be using the app. Summary reports should be provided to all testing team members for proper and timely evaluation so that they can get all the bugs removed prior to the launch of the application.