Regardless of the type or size of your business, if you’re in the market for new server backup software, there are just some things you shouldn’t have to do without. As a vital piece of your organization’s disaster recovery strategy, your server backup software should not only protect and recover your critical data when you need it most, but it should also be easy to manage, have the ability to grow with you – and be cost-effective to upgrade. And it should also include these important features:
- Snapshot capabilities. By using snapshot backups, you can save time and reduce the amount of storage space needed to complete backup and recovery operations.
- Bare metal restore. Whether it’s offered natively or as an add-on, the bare metal restore feature will allow you to restore your system with ease – even to a system with a completely different hardware configuration.
- Deduplication. By eliminating duplicate data, you can reduce your organization’s backup storage costs, save on the amount of data sent over the network and always have access to the most recent version of the file in question.
- Data Encryption. By using advanced encryption technology, your server backup software solution will work to keep your data safe throughout the transmission process and while the data is in backup storage.
- Support for multiple media types. It’s unlikely that you store data on only one type of media – so choose a server backup software solution that will support all of your backup types – including not only virtual, but tape and disk as well.
- Scalability for increased protection. You’ll want to ensure your system can provide protection for a wide range of operating systems and applications.
- Flexible scheduling. Although automated backups are convenient, it’s important to have the ability to schedule backups manually. That way, you can ensure that your system is backed up immediately following major updates.
Additionally, the importance of dependable technical support (via the phone and the Web) cannot be overstated. In the event of a system failure, a serious problem or just an everyday question about the inner workings of your server backup software, it’s critical that you have a team you can count on at all hours of the day and night.
Michael Krutikov is a Product Marketing Manager, supporting Backup Exec since joining Symantec in 2007. With a 14 year career in IT, he now works on marketing partnerships and programs built from thousands of meetings with partners and customers in a constant learning mission to deliver Symantec solutions that can better address their needs.